Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Homemade Laundry Detergent


I know this recipe has been passed around the internet and a lot of people have tried it.  I have been making this for three years and I love it.  More recently I have heard around that it just doesn't get your clothes as clean.  Let me tell you, I have been doing laundry for years and I CANNOT tell the difference.  The fragrance is less, but fragrance comes from chemicals and there are far fewer of them in the homemade stuff....not to mention it's much cheaper to make your own.

Within the past couple of months I found out the recipe I was using, which included Fels Naptha laundry bar, contained tallow which is pork or beef fat...EWW!  Not Vegan enough for this Vegan, and I'm ashamed I used it for over two years.  After doing research I found you can use any bar soap.  I have been using Kirk's Castile but this past batch I used Yardley Oatmeal and Almond (no animal testing) and it smells AMAZING!  I also loved that I found it at Walmart for 88 cents a bar.  Also if you have a membership for a bulk store, getting a large pack of Baking Soda for this recipe and other homemade cleaning products is a great idea for the value compared to a single box.

INGREDIENTS:

3 c. Borax
2 c. Baking Soda
2 c. Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1 bar soap, grated

DIRECTIONS:

Mix all ingredients together and use 2 Tablespoons per load.

1 comment:

  1. Where can I get borax and washing soda from? And how long does this last you?

    ReplyDelete