Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Product Review: Tolerant Lentil Rotini

On my quest to find products made without grains or starchy carbs, I found these noodles made from lentils by a company called Tolerant out of Canada. They have green and red lentil pasta in rotini, penne and mini fettuccine and the same shapes in a black bean pasta.  I have tried the green and red lentil rotini. They are Non GMO, Organic, Gluten-Free and Vegan.  With only one ingredient you don't have to worry about hidden stuff that's bad for you.
I purchased a box at Kroger for a whopping $7.99 because I was super desperate to eat pasta and was on my "no starchy carbs fast".  I had my fingers crossed that I would love it because when I found the same product at Costo for $9.99 for a three pack, (I felt so taken advantage of by Kroger).  I bought them without having tried the first box.
The first recipe I made was mock chicken noodle soup with Beyond meat chicken-style strips, veggies and these noodles.  I really like a thick broth (more like stew) so I was thrilled when I poured the noodles in and cooked them in the broth, without boiling them first, and they made the broth thicker.   Even smelling them and eating them plain, you can't tell they're made from lentils.  Texturally, they are similar to Al-dente pasta, but a little gooier and less sticky than pasta made with flour.
*Note, for this soup I used Imagine brand "Vegetarian No-Chicken Broth" which magically tastes like chicken broth without the chicken and not too vegetable-ish like the standard vegetable broths.  I also used white wine, carrots, celery, onions, pepper, and Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends in the Poultry flavor.

So, I would give this a two thumbs up, and so would the rest of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment