Sunday, January 10, 2016

Socca

As far as I know, no one in my home has a gluten allergy or intolerance.  I have, however, heard of the benefits of limiting or eliminating gluten from your diet.  I have been on the search for yummy grain alternatives.  Chickpea flour (or Besan) is a great protein-filled substitute for flour.  My favorite recipe I've come across is a traditional Italian flatbread called Socca.  I wouldn't have guessed they used chickpea flour in Italy.  This does not take a lot of time to throw together and it can be reheated easily.  I have been using this to make fork sandwiches or topping it with all sorts of things from pizza toppings to sauteed spinach, tofu scramble and vegan cheddar.  I found this flour at a local Indian market, which is a cheaper alternative to Bob's Red Mill or a similar brand.

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 c. chick-pea flour* (also called garbanzo flour or Besan)
3 1/2 c. fresh cold water
1 t. salt
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS:

Whisk flour with water, salt and pepper in bowl until combined well.  Let sit on counter for 2-3 hrs.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Cover  large rectangular cookie sheet with parchment paper, enough to go up sides.  Drizzle olive oil on parchment paper and use bottom of measuring cup to spread around and cover bottom of pan.  Pour batter over and carefully place in oven (as batter is thin).  Bake for 30 minutes or until golden.  Cut into desired shape and store leftovers in refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment