Thursday, January 7, 2016

Zucchini Fritters

As you will soon find out, I am a "one photo and the recipe", "cut to the chase" kind of girl.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it frustrating when they're cooking using a recipe off of their smart phone and the site owner posts 20 pictures of the food and prep...and you're scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, just to find the ingredients and directions.  Most of my recipe posts will contain an intro, one photo, the ingredients and directions.  As a jump-into-the-new-year, and a request of the congregation from my pastor, I started a "no starchy carbs" fast.  (Some people are doing just water, just juice, no meat, no caffeine or something non-food related.)  I did a juice fast in October (more on that later), and it was rough, and I am already Vegan, so I decided to give up sweets and starchy carbs (anything with flour or grains, rice, potatoes, corn etc).  I started before the New Year because I was anxious, so I've been on it for a week and a half.  I immediately started looking for Pinterest recipes and discovered quite a few with chickpea/garbanzo bean flour.  I am lucky to have a local Indian market that sells it cheaply, regular and organic.  If you find the flour at the Indian market it will be called Besan.  These fritters were excellent.  If you don't care for curry or garam masala (a spice mix that can also be found at an Indian market or thrown together yourself), just throw in what you like, to flavor it.  The grill marks on the fritters are from my panini maker, which I used to reheat them.



INGREDIENTS:

4 c. shredded zucchini (I used 2 c. zucchini and 2 c. yellow squash because it's what I had on hand)
1 c. chickpea flour
1 t. dried basil or six fresh leaves
1 t. salt
1 tsp. garam masala
1 t. chili paste (found in the Asian section at the grocery store)
1/2 tsp. curry powder
 Olive oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:

In large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients except for olive oil together until zucchini moistens mixture. Coat large, non-stick skillet with olive oil and heat up over medium heat.  Form batter into about eight fritters and fry, in two batches until golden and crispy on each side....Add more olive oil as you go or if the fritters are sticking.

-Adapted from the Zucchini Pancake recipe on Just Hungry.com

No comments:

Post a Comment