Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Akki Roti



Roti is Indian flat bread that is fried on a griddle.  There are so many different kinds.  I have made this recipe three times.  The first time I was blown away and I didn't change a thing from the original.  The second time I used whole green mung beans and mung bean flour instead of rice flour and they were horrible.  The third time I made it the same as the first and added additional spices which I will suggest in a note since a couple of them are more obscure.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 c. split (yellow) mung beans soaked overnight in 1 c. water
2 c. rice flour
1/2 c. shredded cococut
1/4 c. shredded carrot
2 T. fresh cilantro, minced
2 1/2 t. green chiles
1 t. cumin
1 t. salt

1/2 c. vegetable oil for frying

Optional spices: amchoor (mango powder), curry powder, garlic powder or minced garlic, fenugreek powder


DIRECTIONS:

Drain mung beans but reserve water; place in large mixing bowl.  Add remaining ingredients except for oil and mix with hands.  Add back in about 1/2 cup of the reserved water and mix well.  Form into patties (I made about 9).  Heat 2 T. of the oil in medium frying pan over medium heat.  Fry patties in three or four batches adding more oil in between batches.  Serve warm.

Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment